Saturday, November 28, 2009

Black Friday...A Cherished Tradition - Day 114

I am all about tradition and for over 10 years on Black Friday, my good friend, Vicky and I embark on a shopping, eating and talking adventure that lasts most of the day…or until our energy or money runs out. Today was another one of those wonderful days. Vicky picked me up at 8:30. Both of us had scoped out Wednesday’s paper and had coupons in hand. We developed a plan of attack on the fly and headed for stop one at Stein Mart, then it was on to JoAnn’s for tulle to wrap cookie baskets. Next was a disappointing stop at Lowe’s for .99 poinsettias that had sold out 2 hours earlier before our adventure even began. Our tummies were getting a little restless, so we headed for breakfast at Cracker Barrel. I ordered the Holiday Sampler…more food than anyone needs for breakfast, but I “sampled” most all of it on my plate. Fried eggs, a sausage patty, slice of bacon, county ham, hash brown casserole, grits, fried apples, a cinnamon biscuit and regular biscuit with sausage gravy. I don’t even want to know the calorie count! I waddled out the door and on to the next leg of our adventure…Michaels for more cookie basket fixings. In between it all Vicky and I solved most of the problems of the world. We talked politics, parenthood, marriage, health, love, friendship, and business…our future cookie business.

About this time my son Ryan called to say he was heading home to grab his stuff before heading back to North Carolina. So…Vicky and I headed home as well for hugs and goodbyes. We stopped by Vicky’s home to check out the beautiful quilts she is making for each of her kids. Believe it or not, we were actually hungry again, so Chipotle was next for burrito bowls and more conversation. We headed to World Market for coffee mugs…the coolest stackable mugs with kitschy graphics depicting famous cities around the world and then stopped at Marshalls for pants for Ryan and a new Gator hoodie for game day tomorrow. TJ Maxx/Home Goods, Ross and another Michaels stops were thrown in along the way and the day wrapped up with a hug around 5:30. I was pooped, poor and totally content.

Spending this day each year with Vicky, one of my forever friends is a tradition that I hope will never end.

Many hugs and Black Fridays with Vicky,

Kathy

No comments: