Thursday, November 5, 2009

Lending a Hand - Day 91

Today began with basket and bag assembly for the cookies I baked last night. I was pleased with the results and hoped they would please Carolyn as well. Unfortunately I couldn't reach Carolyn, so I left them in her office and hoped for the best.

For lunch I met my friend Bree at...Sweet Tomatoes. Yes, once again I have been to ST three times in a week. I can't help myself. It is BOGO coupon time. Bree treated me and I contributed the coupon. We worked out more details of her rehearsal dinner and wedding day. This weekend I need to do a trial run of the menu - Shrimp and Andouille Sausage over Baked Garlic Cheese Grits and the Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding with Cinnamon Rum Sauce. Bree and Jason got engaged in New Orleans, so the rehearsal dinner will have a Cajun theme and it is happening in exactly one week from today. Kenda and my mom are helping me with the catering. The menu is simple, but I am also the wedding coordinator and will be at the rehearsal when I need to be cooking. I have to make sure I have a plan and do a lot of delegating. Delegating is not my strong suit. I like to be in control.

When I left lunch, I noticed a message from my friend Rita. Since our good friend Mary Helen is now in hospice care, I pause every time I see a Rita call. This call was a good one. Mary Helen called Rita today and asked for the two of us to come see her. We are going tomorrow at lunchtime. Mary Helen's cancer battle is the stuff legends are made of. She continues to fight through extreme pain with grace and humor. My "Power of Good" movement is dedicated to Mary Helen. Everything about her exudes good.

One of my co-workers is having some rather extreme personal problems which have resulted in depression and anxiety attacks. During the last week, I have tried my best to lend a hand with hugs, positive reinforcement, and ideas for ways for her to battle through the depression. She was very anxious about driving across town to pick something after work. I offered to have her follow me. I put big Gator magnets on the back of the car...she is a huge FSU Seminole fan. The I told her to focus on the "ugly" Gators and I would get her to her destination...anxiety free. It worked. She actually even smiled once we got there. Something very rare on her face these days. This was "the Power of Good" at work again.

Many hugs,

Kathy

No comments: