Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Power of Good Challah Bread - Day 97

Today was the first day of my 1 1/2 week long vacation and guess where I spent the first half of the day?! Yep, I went to work. I couldn't get everything wrapped up yesterday, had one more basket to deliver to Carolyn and dropped off a cookie basket for Danielle as her going away present. Danielle is moving on to work at a local law firm. Her smile will be sorely missed.

The rest of the day was spent errand running at a frantic pace to prepare for Bree's rehearsal dinner tomorrow. Tonight I met Bree and Jason at the site of the dinner to stage the buffet and work out last minute details. Then it was on to my quest for challah bread for the chocolate chip bread pudding I was making for tomorrow's dinner. The Publix I visited this afternoon was out. So were the two other Publix supermarkets I visited tonight. My last resort was a TooJay's deli near my house, but by this time it was 9:30 p.m. and I was sure they were closed. As I approached the locked front door, an employee took pity on me and came to the door. I told him I was in search of two loaves of challah bread. "Two loaves, not sliced?" he said. Yep, that is what I need! He closed the door, headed behind the counter and reappeared with two whole loaves of beautiful challah bread. He handed them to me from behind the partially opened door and refused my offer to pay. With a sly smile on his face, he said "Just don't tell anybody"!

I would love to oblige this kind soul's request, but the story of his generosity needs to be shared. I have a new love of TooJay's and will definitely head that way soon when I am contemplating dinner out. He saved the challenge of the day and for that I am very grateful. This is the "power of good...challah bread"!

Many hugs and generous souls,

Kathy

No comments: