Thursday, November 12, 2009

A Great Day Dedicated To My Hero - Day 98

My morning began with the sad news that my hero Mary Helen passed away last night. I am so thankful her pain is over, but will miss her very much. I knew this day would come, but could not help but feel so sad. Unfortunately I will be in North Carolina next week when they have her service. Mary Helen would want me to spend the time with Mike and Ryan and that is what I am going to do.

I am truly blessed with the most wonderful mom and friends that came to my rescue as I fell apart this morning. My mom, Kenda and Vicky all arrived and pitched in to get me out the door with the makings of a wonderful rehearsal dinner for Bree, Jason and their friends and family. My mom and Kenda worked through the afternoon and evening to make the event memorable for everyone. Vicky stayed behind and made several batches of the Cinnamon Rum Sauce to go over the Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding we were serving. She even delivered it to me. But the best part of all, Vicky went back to my house and cleaned my kitchen. And when I say "cleaned", I mean cleared away all the clutter and made the kitchen look immaculate. Did I mention that I have the best mom and friends in the entire universe?!

The evening was a tremendous success. We began with puff pastry appetizers, roasted asparagus wrapped in prosciutto, marinated olives, cheese, salami and crackers. My mom helped Bree and Jason mix Hurricanes as a tribute to New Orleans where they got engaged. Dinner was served buffet style. We feasted on Baked Garlic Cheese Grits, Smothered Andouille Sausage and Shrimp, yellow rice, garlic bread, and salad. Dessert was the best part...Warm Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding topped with Vicky's delicious Cinnamon Rum Sauce and a squirt of whipped cream. It was really good! Must have been that Power of Good Challah Bread that did the trick.

A day that began with such sadness, ended with tremendous happiness and satisfaction. With the help of my friends, we brought a magical night to a lot of people. I dedicate this great day to my hero, Mary Helen. She will always be in my heart.

Many hugs,

Kathy

No comments: