Friday, November 6, 2009

Cash Starved, Abundantly Rich - Day 92

My bank account may be low on funds, but my life is abundantly rich. Today was tough and one I am so glad I experienced. As I have mentioned in previous postings, by hero and friend, Mary Helen is almost at the end of her battle against cancer. She is staying at the Hospice in the Deland area. Yesterday Mary Helen summoned enough strength to call Rita and request a visit from the two of us today. I was so thrilled that she called and then the reality of the situation hit me this morning. This could very well be the last time I saw Mary Helen. What would I say? Could I mask my sadness? All of a sudden I became very anxious...

Then Rita got in the car. She has this incredible aura and a way of making everything better. She dove into the situation and I followed her lead. When we arrived at Hospice, Mary Helen was getting her hair washed. We spent some time talking to her boyfriend Ron. He prepared us for how she would look and sound. Then the door opened and we stepped inside. Before me was a beautiful soul. Her hair had grown quite a bit since we saw her several weeks ago. The nurse had styled it. Mary Helen joked that is was so BIG...very Texas! Even in her gaunt, somewhat lucid state, she joked and smiled and asked about my cookies and my life. How amazing is that? Her body is telling her it is time to go, but her mind keeps fighting and saying it is not her time yet. I brought a small bag of HeartSong Cookies for Ron and Mary Helen's daughter Carrie to share. Ron loved the cookies from a previous basket and asked me to bake a birthday basket full of hugs to ship to his uncle in Ohio. Of course I will do it!

Mary Helen made us promise to come see her again real soon. I will do it again and again until her body wins the battle. Her spirit will live on within me forever.

Many hugs and prayers for Mary Helen,

Kathy

No comments: