Sunday, July 25, 2010

Home Cook - Day 353

The Wine Lady, the Cookie Lady, Butthead...I answer to so many different monikers. One that has been sorely missing from my repertoire is Home Cook. Tonight after work I vowed to remedy that for at least one meal. I picked up some frozen shrimp, a bag of oranges, lettuce, corn, strawberries, blueberries and headed straight home to my kitchen.

I thawed the shrimp, then placed them in a bowl with some freshly squeezed orange juice, olive oil and Weathervane seasoning. While the shrimp bathed in their citrus bath, I cut the corn off the cob and added it to a saute pan with a little water to steam. When the water was almost evaporated, butter, fat free milk, a couple of tablespoons of herb cheese, a few shakes of hot sauce and salt and pepper joined the pan. This is my version of creamed corn - not overwhelmed by creaminess to allow the fresh sweetness of the corn to shine through. My salad was a simple one of greens, crumbled goat cheese, fresh cherries and toasted pecans topped with a drizzle of homemade orange vinaigrette. While Mike heated up the grill, I threaded the shrimp on skewers and made some foil veggie packets of fresh asparagus with Vidalia onion slices, a drizzle of olive oil and more Weathervane seasoning. The veggie packets went on first, followed by the shrimp skewers. For once the shrimp did not overcook. The asparagus were not quite so lucky. They ended up a little limp and bitter. Overall the meal was a tasty success.

Dessert was meant to be a Snickerdoodle Berry Shortcake. I macerated sliced strawberries and blueberries in a little sugar and Frangelico liqueur. While the berries hung out, I threw together a batch of Toasted Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies for a website meeting with Morgan and David tomorrow. This was just enough time for my head to catch up with my tummy. I was stuffed and could not eat another bite. So my pairing of macerated berries served over a buttery, cinnamon Snickerdoodle cookie with whipped cream and toasted hazelnuts will have to wait for another day.

It feels so good to actually write a foodie blog posting about food...food cooked at home.

Many hugs,
Kathy

No comments: