Monday, July 19, 2010

Search for Diabetic Friendly Cookie Recipe -Day 347

Today I set out on a quest for a cookie recipe that can be enjoyed by diabetics. I strongly dislike artificial sweeteners and began my search by looking for natural alternatives. I searched for cookies made with agave nectar and soon discovered this can be a little tricky. Agave is 1.4 times sweeter than sugar. It adds additional liquid to the recipe. It browns quicker than a recipe with sugar. And it makes the dough consistency a bit stickier. I found an article that takes a traditional chocolate chip cookie recipe and offers an agave conversion. Tomorrow I am going to try it out.

I continued the recipe search in the recipe section of the American Diabetes Association web site. Surely they would have some good diabetic cookie alternatives. To my delight, they did. However, to my surprise none of the recipes included artificial sweeteners. They all included sugar, a somewhat smaller amount of sugar, but sugar nonetheless. I decided to revive a breakfast cookie recipe I baked last year and compare it to the diabetic friendly recipes. It included an even smaller amount of sugar, very little fat, whole grains, carrot puree, raisins and toasted walnuts. This was the baking choice of the night.

The result was tasty, but missed the fat. I think tomorrow night I am going to try adding grated carrots for additional moisture. It it works, I will publish the recipe.

Many hugs,
Kathy

No comments: