Thursday, July 22, 2010

Unwrapping The Best Present - Day 350

Yesterday, Ms. Kathy's Wild Ride was exactly that...WILD. The afternoon found me playing bumper cars in a parking lot with a big black Ford Explorer. My little CRV got the worst of the encounter, leaving the scene with a wrinkled rear bumper. It was not my fault, but still a pain in my rear. Between lack of sleep, a hormone tsunami and stress, I shed a few tears.

I needed a little TLC and some bakery case therapy. I headed to Hair Cuttery for a haircut and then to Bake Me A Cake Cafe to pick up dessert for dinner at McC's. Bake Me A Cake Cafe is a charming little bakery located on New England Avenue in Winter Park, across from Dexter's. When I walked through the door, my heart skipped a beat. Before me was a bakery case filled with beautiful cupcakes and a large selection of mini pastries. I wanted to wrap up the entire case with a bow on top and take it to David and Sheri's. Instead, I asked the clerk to describe each of the choices one by one. He filled a bakery box with my treats from delicate cream puffs to a cookie fudge tart. It was a beautiful thing...and just the therapy I needed to forget my wrinkles.

Dinner at McC's Japanese Garden Cafe was spectacular. I know last night I said I would let the pictures do the talking...but I have so much more to say.

David outdid himself. He set the dinner bar so high I will never reach it. No detail was overlooked. He even wrote out the menu as a cheat sheet for my blog posting. The meal was a feast for the eyes and palate. We began with Udon Noodle Soup, then a salad of Ranier cherries and cucumbers. The lazy Susan was filled with a beautiful sushi selection - Florida Rolls, Shrimp Rolls and Salmon Rolls, an Avocado Salad for Sheri, Tuna Tataki, Sesame Green Beans and Japanese Tea. I am in love with this lazy Susan! Each turn brings a new gift to your plate.

Over dinner we shared stories of their recent trip to Highlands, North Carolina. They described their favorite store in the center of this tiny town - The Stone Lantern, a Japanese wonderland that served as the inspiration for our meal. Quirky family stories and reminiscences from the past filled the conversation. Last night I unwrapped one of the best gifts in life...friendship. Every bite savored and story told unveiled another layer of Sheri, David and Sarah I never knew. Aaaaah...dinner at McC's, one of life's great pleasures. It makes me happy to my very core.

Today was one of those days that was so impactful, it required a Posting Part 2.

When I walked into the cafe in the Harn Art Museum on the campus of University of Florida, I had no idea what a delightful time I was in for. I was meeting Valerie and Kelly for the first time to discuss an art book Valerie wished to publish. Unfortunately my crazy schedule the last couple of days, left me little time to check out her website before our meeting. Shortly after sitting down, Valerie handed me a print out of her book. It was filled with colorful, happy childlike paintings of cows, the central characters of the book. As I thumbed through the pages I soon realized this was much more than an art or a children's book. It was a tribute to her only son, killed less than two years ago in a car accident. Her son was an organ donor. Valerie's book relates the hope and promise that springs from such tragedy. Her eyes welled up with tears as she spoke about her son. Two years is not nearly enough time to heal a mother's pain. But Valerie presses on with a passion to get her message out. I made her a promise...somehow, some way we will make her dream come true. I don't break promises.

Many hugs,
Kathy

No comments: