Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sentimental Journey - Day 346

Maudlin. A word that best describes how I felt perched on my stool in the Costco wine section. Traffic was slow, leaving me far too much time to think and write. I thought about the weeks before me. Weeks filled with final preparation for my business debut. I thought about how much I will actually miss the friendships I have made at Costco. The customer regulars like George, Anthony, Bill and Steve. The CDS demonstrators, Minerva, Vera, Nancy, Shirley, July and so many more. The Costco employees, Daniel, Orlando, Justin, Steve, Pete, Gladys, Harold, Leonard, Lauren, Axel and Marsh. Even Phil, the phone kiosk manager. They all became part of my weekends over the last year. I baked them cookies to rave reviews. They delivered demo samples to my station. They gave me hugs. I hugged them back. As I shared my business dreams, they were my biggest cheerleaders.

I won't miss the feeling of boredom or the loss of time spent with Mike. But I will miss all the them. I will miss this time of self reflection...the one time during the week that I actually am not in perpetual motion.

Dinner tonight was back in my court. I called Mike when I got off work and took him on a virtual tour of Costco trying to come up with a plan for dinner. We finally decided on one of our favorite ways to eat. Noshing on a little of this and a little of that. I picked up an eclectic mix of smoked salmon, lime cilantro marinated shrimp, asiago cheese, salami, nectarines, multi-grain crackers and mushroom salad. Combined with the boursin cheese, goat cheese and fresh cherries hiding out in the fridge at home, we had quite a feast.

My journey into sentimentality brought me back to the place I love the most. Home with Mike, Maddie and a cornucopia of good food.

Many hugs,
Kathy

No comments: