Saturday, July 17, 2010

Whatever You Love, You Are - Day 345

For the last several days I have been reading a book loaned to me by my friend Sharon - "A Homemade Life" by Molly Wizenberg. Reading doesn't accurately describe what I have been doing with that book...savoring is more like it. The book is a quick read that I could easily consume in just one night, but I don't want to. I don't want the experience to end. This book reads like an insanely rich cookie filled with lots of nuts, chocolate and dried fruit. A cookie enjoyed in tiny nibbles with a treat in every bite.

I fell in love with Molly's writing style last year when I stumbled upon her column in one of my favorite magazines, Bon Appetit. The topic was kale...not the most riveting subject. I like kale well enough, especially in Zuppa Toscana from Olive Garden. But Molly made me fall in love with kale. She made me want to run out and buy a bunch, saute it in hot oil with chopped garlic and eat a big bowl all by myself...no sharing.

It was a powerful writing style that painted a picture, made you smell the aroma of the garlic as it hit the oil, appreciate the bright green color of the kale as it joined the garlic in the pan and hear the sizzle of the greens as they became slightly crisp. The book is filled with personal stories and food descriptions that have the same impact. Each chapter ends with a recipe. A recipe that moves you to check out your pantry for the ingredients or run to the store to make it...NOW! Yes, Molly's writing is just that powerful.

One of the chapters I consumed this morning had a title that stuck in my mind as I sat on my stool in Costco writing my blog. It was the song title from an album shared with a long lost love...Whatever You Love, You Are.

Whatever You Love, You Are. I love the sound of this. I love the truth in this.

My challenge, or should I say blessing, is that I love a lot of things...from tasty foods to interesting people. I take in a healthy portion of it all. It is why my life is so full and my body so round.

Whatever You Love, You Are. I love the powerful writing of Molly Wizenberg. Maybe someday I will be a powerful writer too.

Little did I know how prophetic that statement would be when I got off work tonight. I called Mike to find out what he would like me to pick up for dinner. He simply said "I sent you an e-mail. Check it and call me back." Hmmmm, I was intrigued. The e-mail simply said "I decided to prepare dinner tonight. So you don't need to pick anything up." This was music to my ears. Mike doesn't like to spend time in the kitchen, so when he does it is a cherished event. His last adventure into the kitchen yielded the best Hamburger Helper I have ever had and a homemade cake to boot. I called him back and then I rushed home filled with anticipation like Christmas eve.

My Mike prepared dinner was filled with thought. He assembled the meal from take out. It was the perfect balance of healthy, tastiness. From the cedar plank salmon from Seasons 52 and the veggie plate from Cracker Barrel to the steamed mussels and salad fixings from Publix. He even made homemade coasters of my new Heartsong Cookies logo by printing it out and placing it in a cut out page protector. This is exactly why I love this man so much. He may be a man of few words, but his actions say it all. He pays attention. He gets it. He has "IT" and I love him very much.

Whatever You Love, You Are. I love this amazing man. Because I do, my life is a wonderful life.

Whatever You Love, You Are. I love the truth in this.

Many hugs,
Kathy

No comments: