Saturday, December 12, 2009

A Me Day - Day 129

For the first time in a very long time, I had a Saturday all to myself with no place I had to go...no work...no football game...no party to plan. I could do whatever I wanted to do. Mike had to go to St. Pete to take a test. I had errands to run...if I felt like it.

I slept until 9:00. Then headed to Sam's and Costco for baking ingredients. At noon, Alton Brown, of Food Network fame was going to be at the Winter Park Costco where I work. I tried to time my errands to see him and possibly get a book signed. Oh my, the line was incredible. Some of my demo buddies said people started lining up at 3:00 in the morning. Alton's signing venue was set up right where I normally do my wine demo. I watched him interact with customers for a while, shot a couple of photos and decided no signature was worth a crazy wait like this.

I dropped off my groceries at home and headed back out to do mundane errands and shop. For lunch I decided to try Mima's Cuban Cafe for a Media Noche sandwich. A place with Mima in the name, even if it was spelled wrong, had to be good. It actually was. Sweet bread filled with roasted pork, Serrano ham, cheese, mustard and pickles was pressed like a Cuban. The contrast of the sweet bread with the savory filling was delicious. I would definitely go back. The place had a homey charm and the prices were reasonable. My sandwich served with chips was a little over $6.00.

Tonight Mike and I went to Bahama Breeze for an appetizer and drink dinner in the bar. We had a great meal of spinach dip, beef patties and chicken tortilla soup. It was the perfect ending to a perfect day.

Many hugs,

Kathy

No comments: