Sunday, December 6, 2009

With the Help of Family and Friends - Day 122

Well the big day finally arrived...our annual Christmas party to kick off the season AND the SEC Championship game between Florida and Alabama. It had all the makings of the perfect storm.

The day began with a first trip to the vet with our dog, Maddie. Her flea medication was not working. She was infested with fleas and losing her hair everywhere. Maddie actually did much better than I expected in handling the stress of the situation. On to run last minute errands for the party and finally around noon I began to do party prep. The party started at 7:00 and seven hours seems like an eternity, but the hours flew by at warped speed. Mike ran around cleaning everything. He always gets to do the least appreciated stuff. And unfortunately I get so wrapped up in all the food prep that I don't tell him how much it mean to me. So Mike... you are the bomb!

Around 3:00, my friend, Vicky came by to drop off the Cinnamon Rum Sauce she made for the Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding we were serving tonight. I don't think she realized what she was getting herself into. I needed help and I needed it BAD! We chopped, we planned, we did all the things I normally would have done the night before. And the time continued to fly by. I have the bad habit of always tackling more items than I should. If more is good, then the mostest is better. Or so I think. Everyone descended on the party at around the same time and congregated in the kitchen like they usually do...and I wasn't ready. I REALLY wasn't ready. I was flustered and embarrassed.

To make matter worse, the Gators were playing as badly as I had prepared. Mike was VERY disappointed in their performance. He needed his time alone to mourn and was thrust into a mass of family and friends. Out came the Dewar's and water to make his spirits bright.

I finally got all the food out with a lot of help from my friends. Everyone seemed to enjoy the food and company. I really don't know if it was a success because I didn't get a chance to try anything of do much socializing. Once again as I put away the food in the wee hours of the morning, I relected on the day and how rich I am with the people in my life...both family and friends that put up with me and all my quirks and character flaws. To Mike, Vicky, Michael, Mom, David, Beth, Carolyn, Jim, Susan, Kevina, Melissa and Kenda...I couldn't have done it without you. You all are "the Power of Good"!

I was too busy to take pictures, but here is the menu -
Spicy Shrimp and Andouille Sausage over
Baked Garlic Cheddar Grits (Michael)
Veggie Pizza (Susan)
Roasted Pepper Dip (Beth)
Buffalo Chicken Dip (Kevina)
Soup Shots including
Roasted Garlic Soup (Melissa)
Creamy Tomato Garlic Soup
Chicken Corn Chowder
Roasted Pork Tenderloin
Italian Meats, Cheeses and Olives
Garden Focaccia Bread (David and Sheri)
Chicken Skewers with Peanut Dipping Sauce (grilled by Jim)
Burger Sliders (grilled by Jim, enjoyed by Tom)
Rum Cake (Beth)
Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding with
Cinnamon Rum Sauce (Vicky)
Mini Eclairs
Peppermint Bark
Mom's Fudge (Mom)


Many hugs and thanks for my loved ones,

Kathy

No comments: