Monday, August 17, 2009

Vicky's Best Ever Oatmeal Cookies - Day 11

It has been several weeks since I posted a new recipe on my HeartSong Cookie blog. Tonight is the night I break the recipe drought with my friend Vicky's recipe for the Best Ever Oatmeal Cookies.

When I got home for work, I gathered together all the ingredients for Vicky's cookie recipe. Unfortunately I did not have any Apple Pie Spice. Instead I substituted 1/4 tsp. allspice and 1/4 tsp. cinnamon. I think it turned out just fine.

Vicky's Best Ever Oatmeal Cookies

1/2 cup Crisco
1/2 cup butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal (rolled oats)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. apple pie spice
1 cup coconut
1 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup toasted pecans or walnuts
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

2.
Combine dry ingredients and set aside.

3. Beat Crisco, butter and both sugars until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla.

4. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.

5. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls about 3 inches apart onto prepared baking sheet.

6. Bake for 12 minutes or until done. Rotate pan midway through cooking time.

7. Allow to cool on pan for 1-2 minutes. Then transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.



While baking I fixed a very easy vegetarian meal I picked up at Costco - Madras Lentils. This tasty Indian dish is a combination of lentils, red beans and spices in a creamy tomato sauce. It kind resembles an Indian chili and is sure to be a big hit with cash starved foodies everywhere. For $6.69 you get (4) two serving pouches that heat in the microwave in 90 seconds. I served it over some leftover yellow rice from this weekend and it was delicious. You would never guess that it came out of a pouch.

After dinner I passed the time in between baking with a glass of Sterling Vintner's Collection 2007 Chardonnay. At Costco it is currently priced at $7.35 per bottle - another great value for the cash deprived.

Many hugs,

Kathy

2 comments:

Kenda said...

Since when do foodies eat things microwaved in a bag? ;-)

good job on keeping up with the blog.

Cash Starved Foodie said...

Since it is really tasty, inexpensive and fast. It gave me more time to devote to baking.