Sunday, August 30, 2009

Sub for Breakfast - Day 24

This morning I woke up with a hankering for something savory. I looked in the fridge and spied the half sub left over from last night. Who said you can't have a somewhat soggy Italian sub for breakfast?! Not me.

Since I promised my Costco co-workers White Chocolate Blueberry Pecan Cookies, baking was next on the agenda. I didn't want to taste them, but they passed the "over a bazillion made eyeball test" with flying colors. They looked perfect.

I love playing cookie fairy to my friends at Costco. They seem to love the treats I leave them and often stop by to talk during their breaks.

Today I met a fun assortment of customers...John, the jack of all trades jewelry salesman from Australia; the woman and her daughter with tales of an 8th grade trip to Italy; Beverly,a medical transcriber that moonlights selling healthy chocolate, Xocai.

People are so much fun to watch. That is one of the best parts of my Costco job. I watch the way families interact, their buying habits, the way they react to a smile. My (2) 5 hour blocks at Costco are probably the only times during the week I actually sit, relax and observe. It is actually quite serene.

Today I felt so relaxed, I had a difficult time staying awake. That is when I knew it was time to visit Nellie, the Manatee Coffee Company demonstrator. She is an elderly German woman with a warm heart who always has a big cup of coffee and a smile for me. I had stopped to see her earlier to drop off a cookie. When I came back for my coffee, she told me she also loves to bake and we should start a bakery together. Oh...if I wasn't so cash starved! I love German baked goods.

Somewhat Relevant Note: If you ever get up to the Howey-in-the-Hills area of Central Florida, just a little north of Orlando, be sure to visit Yalaha Country Bakery. It is a wonderful German bakery off the beaten path. The Almond Horns are to die for - moist and chewy, full of almond goodness, with the tips dipped in deep, dark chocolate. Mmmmmm, I have a huge craving for one right now.

This afternoon I met a woman who is becoming a certified wine educator through the Society of Wine Educators. She said it costs about $300 for the course including the certification test. The course is taught on line. Maybe I can save up my pennies to do this.

Gladys, one of the Costco employees visited by the cookie fairy, came by my demo area to get the recipe. She told me I HAD to start a business. Even though she was a diabetic and would pay for it tomorrow, she had to have another cookie. This is why I do what I do. The smile on her face made me feel so good. Never, ever underestimate the power of a cookie. Watch out...that cookie rock star feeling is coming back.

Nancy, a CDS demo person I missed, came by to get a cookie because she heard they were so awesome. I was out! Next week I will have to bring more.

Today kept getting better. I ran in to Patti Griffin, one of the artists I used to work with when I first started in the printing business. We hadn't seen each other in over 15 years and it was great to get caught up.

Tonight I was on my own for dinner and decided Pei Wei Asian Diner was just the ticket. I ordered Shrimp Pad Thai to go, a good value at $7.95 since the portion size is definitely enough for two. Then it was on to feed Kenda's girls, Kiley and Samantha. Kiley greeted me with a friendly meow and Samantha with a "get back in the garage" hiss. I fed them, told them goodbye and ate my take out while taking the scenic way home through the back roads of Winter Park and Maitland.

When I got home I cleaned out the fridge and made "Clean Out the Fridge Soup". It is made with whatever veggies, pasta or rice I have left over from the week before along with leftover rotisserie chicken and fresh and dried herbs. This week's soup included fresh okra from Kat's garden, fresh corn cut off the cob, a leftover half onion, leftover peas, leftover rice, fresh thyme, cilantro, parsley, sage, dried herbs and leftover chicken - all added to Swanson's Chicken broth. It is easy and always turns out a little different, but surprisingly good.

Today was a really good day filled with good people, good cookies and lots of smiles.

Many hugs,

Kathy

No comments: