Friday, August 28, 2009

How I Spent My Summer Vacation- Day 22

Whew, what a day! I feel like I just ran two marathons in one day...well at least a 5 K.

The day began with breakfast at Perkins with another coupon from the newspaper. Mike and I decided that beginning a "vacation" day with a big breakfast was the way to go. That way we didn't have to waste any time with lunch. Mike had a Granny's Omelet with hash browns and pancakes for $5.99 (saved $2.70 with coupon). I had the Classic Egg Favorites with 2 eggs, Canadian bacon, hash browns and pancakes for $5.99 (saved $1.50 with coupon). We saved $4.20 total on the bill.

After breakfast I was off to work to write up a quote. Yes work...doesn't everyone spend their vacation day at work?!

Then on to meet my friends Rita and Mary Helen at the cancer center in Altamonte. Mary Helen is going through clinical trials for her cancer battle and could use a little company. I shared my blog info and recipe cards. We laughed, pondered world problems and enjoyed each others' company. I don't think Mary Helen realized how much this time spent together meant to me in this crazy day. She is my hero.

From the cancer center it was on to the next leg of this road race, errands to buy price tags for tomorrow's garage sale and spackling for Jim's room. Then I headed home to multi task...finish gathering items for the garage sale and finish Jim's room. Just as I finished, Jim arrived with some of his stuff and seemed content with the way the room turned out.

I took a moment to look over my handiwork, smiled and took off to pick up my dry cleaning and feed Kenda's cats. The cat feeding was an adventure in itself. The new key Kenda gave me didn't work in the door. Thank goodness she mentioned the hidden key. It worked fine. Then I locked myself in the garage with the good key on the table and the bad key in my pocket. Luckily some jiggling made it work on the garage door. Aaaagh! Kiley the cat, seemed genuinely glad I figured everything out. Samantha, on the other hand, wished I had stayed locked in the garage.

Kenda graciously left me her final BOGO coupon for Tijuana Flats. I was going to cook, but the pace of the day got the best of me. I called Mike and we decided to go for it. After all, I am the newly ordained Coupon Queen and damn proud of it. We realized over $8.00 in coupon savings on dinner alone, both feasting on combo plates.

While I am writing this blog Chef vs. City from Food Network is on in the background. I think the concept for this show is kind of silly, but I can't help watching when they mention they are going to the Ferry Building in San Francisco. This is one of my favorite places on earth. Especially on Saturday mornings when they have the most amazing farmer's market. The smells are intoxicating and the views are incredible. I want to live there...not just in San Francisco, but on a bench on the pier looking over the market. It is truly heaven on earth.

Good night!

Many hugs,

Kathy

No comments: