Saturday, August 22, 2009

"Gentleman" With No Taste - Day 16

Today I worked at Costco from 12-5, which left little time to indulge my foodiness.

Breakfast was another couple of Toasted Walnut Fig Cookies and a cup of Starbucks coffee on the run.

Lunch was grabbed from the Costco tasting smorgasbord. A little salmon with mango salsa, London broil, coffee and butter pound cake tied me over until dinner.

Today was my first really horrific wine selling experience. A "gentleman" (I use the term loosely) came up to me while I was speaking with another customer to tell me how terrible the wine was. He had bought two bottles and thought they were horrible, watered down and so bad he wanted to return them. I was dumbfounded. The feedback I get is overwhelmingly positive. It is the best selling red wine at Costco. Never have I had someone go out of their way to humiliate me. It almost took my breath away and not in a good way. I guess this proves one thing - taste is very subjective and a certain "gentleman" just doesn't have any. At least he gave me something other than heartburn...a story. And after all, life is all about the stories.

On the way out the door from work I picked up a Take and Bake pepperoni pizza, strawberries and butter pound cake for dinner tonight with my soon-to-be roommate, Jim, his daughter, Brenna and my husband, Mike. I cut up the strawberries as soon as I got home and sprinkled them with sugar to macerate. As soon as Jim and Brenna arrived, I popped the pizza in the oven. The pizza was very good. If you haven't tried a Costco pizza...you should. They are actually quite good and come in three varieties - pepperoni, five cheese or margarita. For $9.99 you can feed a family of four.

Dessert was actually quite fun. Jim's daughter Brenna helped me assemble the strawberry shortcakes. I sliced and toasted the butter pound cake while Brenna decorated the dessert plates with Hershey's syrup. We placed the pound cake on top and mounded fresh strawberries with all their sweet juices on top. Another drizzle of chocolate syrup and a generous squirt of whipped cream completed the yummy dessert.

After dinner Brenna and I made chocolate chip cookies for my Costco co-workers and talked girl talk. It was a great chance to get to know Brenna a little better and make her feel at home in her new surroundings. Food has a wonderful way of bringing people together and that is a very good thing.

Many hugs,

Kathy

1 comment:

Blasé said...

Thanks for the cookies and hug!