Friday, August 21, 2009

Mexican Pantry Fiesta - Day 15

Breakfast was a couple of Toasted Walnut Fig Cookies and hot blackberry tea on the run.

Lunch was another coupon cash in...this time at TooJay's with my friend Dennis. He was good-hearted enough to listen to me whine while we ate tasty, buy one get one 1/2 off sandwiches. The coupon saved us $4.25. I have definitely become the coupon queen.

Dinner didn't require a trip to the grocery store, instead I raided the pantry and fridge. Several weeks ago I bought tostada salad shells at Costco and completely forgot about them. They were rediscovered tonight in the pantry along with a can of black beans and a package of yellow rice. From the fridge I grabbed a thawed package of hamburger meat, a partial bag of shredded cheddar cheese and fresh jalapenos from Kat's garden.

While I browned the meat with taco seasoning and chopped jalapenos, I put the beans and the rice on to cook, made fresh salsa and warmed the tostada shells. The whole process took less than 1/2 hour. The result was really good - warm tostada shells filled with yellow rice, black beans, taco meat, cheese, fresh cilantro, diced onions and homemade salsa...a Mexican pantry fiesta with two thumbs up from this cash challenged couple.

Many hugs,

Kathy

No comments: