Thursday, August 20, 2009

Tranquility - Day 14

Yesterday was a tough day filled with angst over my financial situation. All the comfort food in the world couldn't soothe my anxiety. But today is another day and the theme of the day is tranquility.

Once again I spritzed on my lavender mist to set the soothing tone...an extra spritz for good measure. I brewed some green tea with honey for my travel mug and headed out the door for my tranquil day. The drive to work was taken the long way through my favorite parts of Maitland and Winter Park.

My work day took me to Ocala and Gainesville and I decided to continue taking the long way. I meandered through Mt. Dora, Leesburg, the Villages, Belleview and Ocala to save the tolls and smell the roses (well maybe the horse manure). Driving gives me time to come up with new cookie ideas. Tonight I think I will make Toasted Walnut Fig Cookies or Apricot Walnut Chip.

At one of my client stops in Ocala, I received some print projects and something even better...great hugs from Diana and Dave. They went a long way toward continuing the tranquil theme and making my day a little better.

I stopped for lunch in Gainesville with my husband Mike at one of our favorite spots from our college days - Leonardo's Pizza. The slice of Greek thin crust pizza and garden salad was amazing, as usual, and reasonably priced at $7.25.

Dinner will be an adventure...whatever I can create from the fridge and pantry. It will be kind of like Gordon Elliot's Door Knock Dinners on Food Network years ago.

I decided to make pork hash with potatoes, garlic, onions, fresh corn and cubed pork. I seasoned it with hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, pepper, chopped fresh jalapeno, a squeeze of lime and a splash of red wine. I cooked it covered for about 10 minutes and topped it with chopped fresh cilantro. While it cooked I made a glass of Sangria, lit the candles and plopped down on the sofa to watch Top Chef reruns from last night. I am Mikeless tonight, but that doesn't mean I can't make things special. The hash turned out to be one of my best ever and it was the perfect ending to a tranquil day.

After dinner I made the Toasted Walnut Fig Cookies that I concocted on my drive earlier today. They were awesome. I am going to post the recipe on the HeartSong Cookies blog tomorrow.

Many hugs,

Kathy

No comments: