Sunday, August 16, 2009

Costco Serenade - Day 10

Sunday morning began with the question of the day to my husband - "What would you like for breakfast"? Usually he gives me some smart ass remark, like "food", but the answer today was definitive..."chocolate chip pancakes with bacon on the side". Mmmmmmm, that actually sounded pretty good.

Usually I take the easy road with pancakes - Aunt Jemima's Buttermilk Complete, but I was pretty sure I didn't have any mix in the house. I pulled out my trusty Good Housekeeping Cookbook and found the recipe for pancakes. Because I bake on a weekly basis, I had all the ingredients including some toasted pecans and mini chocolate chips to throw in the batter. The result was like a warm, chocolate chip cookie drizzled with butter pecan syrup. Balanced with the saltiness of the bacon, it was divine.

Chocolate Chip Toasted Pecan Pancakes

1/1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 T. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
salad oil
1 cup milk
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
butter
syrup

In large bowl, mix first 4 ingredients; add 3 T. salad oil, milk and egg and stir until flour is moistened. Add pecans and chocolate chips.

Preheat electric griddle or skillet. Coat lightly with oil. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto hot griddle, making a few pancakes at a time. Cook until bubbly and edges look dry. Turn and cook until the underside is golden. Serve with butter and syrup.

Today was actually a pretty cool day at Costco. It was a little slow at the beginning. Mid afternoon I snacked on Shrimp and Scallop Pasta Bake and Mini Ham and Cheese Sandwiches while being serenaded on the key board by the cutest 9 year old little girl. She was amazing! To say she was good was an understatement. People actually gathered around her just to listen. I can't imagine being blessed with such talent at an early age.

One of the CDS food demo employees, Bonnie, came by to talk on her break. She shared the challenges of her cash starved life and I realized I have no worries. You should have seen her eyes light up when I told her I would bake her some cookies...chocolate chip, her favorite.

Dinner with my husband Mike was simple, but good. I picked up some creamy tomato basil soup from Costco and made paninis. Mike's was filled with fresh mozzarella, prosciutto, turkey and pesto. Mine was filled with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, grilled asparagus and pesto. Easy and yummy.

Many hugs,

Kathy

No comments: