Friday, August 7, 2009

Diary of a Poor Foodie - Day 1

The idea for this blog came to me in a very inappropriate place. A detail that would be best kept to myself. I was reading the editor's letter from Barbara Fairchild in my latest edition of Bon Appetit. She was describing all of the wonderful meals she experienced during the magazine's annual "Vegas Uncork'd" event and mentioned keeping a food diary.

The light bulb came on. After months...no, years of searching for a way to fuel my passion for food, friends and the desire to talk about anything foodie...I have found the answer. I will create a daily blog to talk about anything and everything food that comes my way during the course of a day. From recipes, restaurant reviews and magazine and television program recommendations to what I ate that day...a foodie "stream of consciousness".

This morning I shared my blog epiphany with my friends, Rita and Gary. Gary was trying to understand the concept and made a suggestion to carry the "poor" aspect a little further. He suggested - why not pop in on friends for dinner?! It would definitely stretch my foodie dollar and give me some great stories to tell. After all, life is all about the stories. Of course, I may not have any friends left at the end of my "pop-in" adventures. I can just imagine the look of terror and confusion on my friends' faces when they open the door and find me on their doorstep - fork in hand!

My friend Kenda is the unfortunate sounding board for my frequent light bulb moments. Earlier today I shared my blog idea with her. She liked the concept, but hated the name. Poor, she said, I am not. She suggested I name the blog "Diary of a Cash Starved Foodie" instead. I like it! Cash starved, I am.

Lunch today was pure friend and foodie bliss. One of my good friends, Vicky and I met at Cheesecake Factory. Being cash starved, we ordered off the small plate and appetizer portion of the menu. We feasted on great conversation, beet and goat cheese salad, Vietnamese Shrimp Summer Rolls and Fried Zucchini. After lunch we sat in Vicky's car, looking at her scrapbook of photos from a recent trip to Wisconsin. Listening to her describe the cabin, the s'mores at the bonfire, the buttermilk donuts (from Paul Bunyan's Restaurant) was pure fun.

Vicky describes herself as a "trekkie" - one whose joy of life is turned on by travel and adventure. She describes me as a "foodie" - one whose joy of life is turned on by food. After hearing her almost go orgasmic over the description of the warm, freshly fried, buttermilk donuts dusted with sugar, I think she is best described as a "foodie trekkie". Vicky is an amazing photographer and adventurer. I hope to periodically include her photos and travel logs in my blog.

This afternoon I snuck a couple of Dove chocolates from my co-worker, Kat's drawer. Now you know the secret to my Rubenesque figure.

Day 1 ended with a visit to a car dealership to trade in my car for a new more fuel efficient CR-V and a trip to Cracker Barrel for comfort food with my husband, Mike. Everyone deserves a little comfort after buying a car. Warm biscuits with apple butter, chicken and dumplings, carrots and green beans were just the tonic for a stressful week. As usual, Mike was extremely encouraging about my blog idea.

From the moment the light bulb went off this morning, I have been smiling or giggling. My joy of life has definitely been turned on as I embark on my foodie journey.

Many hugs and giggles,

Kathy

No comments: