Saturday, August 8, 2009

More Than I Can Chew - Day 2

After only one day, I am concerned I have bitten off more than I can chew with a daily blog. This is not surprising since I have always been a "more on my plate than I can possibly handle" kind of girl...both literally and figuratively.

Since I am currently working two jobs a total of seven days a week to curb the cash starvation, little time is left to spend with my husband, family and friends. Even less time is left for me and my guilty pleasures of baking and blogging. Somehow I vow to make it work. This is too much fun!

This morning began early gathering together the ingredients for my Tropical Escape Cookies. I took the butter out of the fridge to soften, jumped in the car to run errands and picked up breakfast at Panera. The next hour was spent running up and down the stairs between tweaking my blog and baking the cookies for tonight's luau party at my niece's home. Mmmmm, the cookies smell so good. The combo of macadamia nuts, dried tropical fruit and lime zest mixed into the buttery cookie base is amazing. The recipe is posted on my cookie blog at heartsongcookies.blogspot.com

Off to the next leg of my crazy day relay. Every Saturday and Sunday I work from 12-5 at Costco as a wine demonstrator for Orvino Imports. The wine I "demonstrate" is a wonderful Montepulciano d'Abruzzo Italian red reserve wine. Unfortunately Costco does not allow tastings, so my demonstration consists of a lot of talking. Talking is something I am very good at and always have been. At an early age, my grandmother would pay me a nickel to keep quiet for five minutes. I don't know what I was blabbering about, but somehow I think it must have involved food. Many nickels exchanged hands for a little peace and quiet.

Today wine sales were a little sluggish, but I did get a very nice compliment from one of my customers. He told me I sold so much wine because I had blue eyes and was so pretty. My eyes are hazel and he didn't buy the wine, but I can live off the compliment for the rest of the weekend. At 51, compliments are few and far between.

Every Saturday at Costco my wine table is set up directly across from the Seafood Road Show. I stare at huge king crab legs, Dungeness crabs, shrimp the size of my hand, fresh clams and mussels. I sit and dream of all the wonderful things I could make with this bounty. A few week's ago I bought a bag of fresh clams and tried a Bon Appetit recipe for grilled clams with grilled bread for dipping. If I can find the magazine, I will post the recipe in tomorrow's blog.

After work, Mike and I headed to the luau party at my niece, Melissa's home. She did a great job with the decor and food. We feasted on pulled pork, caprese salad, broccoli salad and an awesome rum punch complete with umbrellas. I love catching up with that part of my family. It was a perfect ending to a whirlwind day.

Many hugs,

Kathy

No comments: