Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Brick Wall - Day 169

Well the "Power of Good" just hit a brick wall. My boss decided that 1/21/2010 was a good day to implement a Daily Sales Call Report to document every move of the sales staff. He cited in the memo this was to make sure sales put in a full eight hour work day. I don't think he gave me nearly enough blank sheets. A full eight hours...ha, try a full 10-12 hours each day. This really upset me. It felt like my integrity and work ethic were being questioned. Both are a huge part of who I am as a person. Oh well, document I will. I ended up with four pages of entries for my 12 hour work day...plus a bonus 2 hours baking cookies for one of my customers. I just hope he sets aside a half hour or so each day to read my journal

I temporarily calmed my anger and frustration with a tasty "bad for me" lunch on the run. I drove through Zaxby's in Ocala for a Nibbler Snack Sandwich, Fried Pickles Snack and an order of Celery Sticks. The Fried Pickles are a new item and were as good as I have ever had at a sit down restaurant. Thank goodness I ordered the snack size. I definitely could have devoured more. Not a good idea for my waistline or my cholesterol.

As the day progressed I became more and more angry about the Daily Sales Call Sheet. I read the memo again and noticed the suggestion that the log could be used as a tool to redirect our schedules and possibly the way we do business. After reviewing four pages of accomplishments for the day, I realized he was right. I spend far too much time on work and need to get a life.

For dinner tonight leftover salmon took its final curtain call. I made a salmon salad melt, Italian wedding soup, a cucumber tomato salad and a far too tiny bit of red wine. Then I indulged in sweet therapy to quell my angst. I dusted off the cookie sheets that had been in hibernation for the last few weeks and baked a batch of cookies. I named the result "A Little of This, A Little of That Cookie" because the recipe was exactly that. To my base dough I added, David's Toasty Granola, Toasted Pecans and Walnuts, a mix of Dried Apples, Pears, Apricots, Peaches, Figs and a little cinnamon. The result was a cookie filled with fiber, antioxidants and comfort. I ate two over the course of the evening because comfort was something I definitely needed and they did the trick.

Tomorrow I think I will try going around or over the wall instead of ramming into it head on over and over again.

Many hugs (I could use one right now),

Kathy

No comments: