Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Little Things - Day 160

Today we had an early morning sales meeting. I didn't get out of the house in time to have breakfast at home. So I picked up coffee and oatmeal from Starbucks in route. Usually I get my oatmeal loaded - brown sugar, dried fruit and nuts. I am constantly saying it is the little things, the details that make the difference. Unfortunately I don't follow this advise in my diet or my budget. I guess that is why I am in debt and overweight. Today I ordered my oatmeal without brown sugar...only dried fruit and nuts. I know foregoing the brown sugar didn't amount to a huge calorie savings, but a little here and a little there equals a pound. To be honest, the oatmeal actually tasted better naturally sweetened with the dried fruit. And next time, I will get up five minutes earlier to make the oatmeal and coffee at home. Then I will be $4.00 wealthier as well.

My boss brought in boxes of muffins and Danish to our morning meeting. My will power held steadfast throughout the morning. And then...it got closer and closer to lunchtime. The apple cinnamon muffin yelled out to me every time I went past. Finally I gave in, wrapped the muffin in a paper towel and headed out the door for lunch. I ate the whole damn thing on the way to pick up a salad at Super Target. I am addicted to the California Chicken Salad from the Target deli. I know I have blogged about this salad before, but it bears repeating. For $3.99, this is a great salad - mixed greens topped with grilled chicken, walnuts, dried cherries, two slices of goat cheese and poppy seed dressing. Yum!

It is funny, tonight on my way home I turned the radio to The Jack Del Rio Show (coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars). He was discussing their season and he said the difference between "good" and "great" is a lot of little things. Hey, that is the theme of the day!

Many hugs,

Kathy

No comments: