Sunday, January 10, 2010

Guilty Pleasure Indulgence Week Finale - Day 158

This morning was exceptionally chilly for Florida. It looks like my feeble attempts to cover my plants did not work. All the beautiful crotons were sad and droopy. When I got up, I lit a fire in the fireplace, brewed hot tea, toasted bagels and read the Sunday paper with Mike. Then it was off to work. I made another stop at Starbucks on my way in. This time the coffee stayed in the cup instead of my sweater and actually went a long way to keeping me thawed out in a very chilly Costco.

You know I never tire of watching people. I love watching the way they react to the new products at Costco. People come in all shapes and sizes, but as diverse as they look, their behavior is amazingly similar. A display of granite topped bathroom cabinets was set up right next to me, along with a glass shower enclosure and a swivel chair outdoor seating grouping. Almost everyone that walked by paused to pat the granite, open the drawers and doors of the cabinet, slid open the shower door and then plopped down on the swivel chair for a quick spin. It was really kind of comical.

Today Crucy, one the the CDS demonstrators, served tastes of Kirkland Wholesome Fruit and Nuts - a mixture of dried cranberries, dried cherries, almonds, walnuts and dry roasted pistachios. She got me hooked with an extra full cup. I decided I am going to make an oatmeal, fruit and nut cookie out of it - filled with fiber, whole grain, antioxidants and minimal fat.

Today is the final day of Guilty Pleasure Indulgence Week. The grand finale dinner included pan seared thin cut pork chops, braised red cabbage, stewed apples and potato cheese pierogies, served by the fire with a glass of Montepulciano. I think this eastern European themed dinner was one of the best I have made in a very long time. Mike seemed to really enjoy everything...but the cabbage. He did not even try it. He did however have three pork chops. I had one pork chop and two servings of cabbage. It was delicious. I used a recipe from my Whole Foods iPhone application.

Red Cabbage

1/3 cup canola oil
4 T. sugar
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 head red cabbage, sliced and cored
2 Gala apples, peeled, sliced and seeded
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 tsp. caraway seeds
4 whole cloves
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper

Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large pot. Add sugar and cook until dark brown. Carefully add onions and cook 5-10 minutes until well browned. Add garlic, cook 2 more minutes. Deglaze with red wine vinegar. Add chicken broth, cabbage, apples, lemon juice, caraway seeds, cloves and black pepper. Cover and cook 30-45 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

The pan seared pork chops I served were very simply prepared. I sprinkled with sea salt, pepper and Weathervane seasoning from A Southern Season in Durham, NC. Then I cooked in a hot pan coated with olive oil for a 3 minute sear on each side.

The stewed apples were another simple dish. I peeled, cored and sliced Gala apples and cooked them with 3 tablespoons melted butter, a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar, a sprinkling of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.

The pierogies came from Costco and were actually the inspiration for the meal. They come precooked, but I browned them in butter and served with a dollop of sour cream.

Sadly, Guilty Pleasure Indulgence Week is over, but it went out with a bang.

Next week's theme is Healthy Heart. Fish, fruits, veggies, smaller portions, vitamins, walks and lots of happiness will be in abundance.

Many hugs,

Kathy

No comments: