Friday, January 15, 2010

Dinner By Mike - Day 163

Yesterday my friend Karen pointed out that I need to cook at home more. She follows my blog religiously and feels I could go a long way toward financial independence if I actually stayed home. I agree! My challenge is an erratic schedule, seven day work week, a part time husband and a love of dining out. These all contribute to my bad habit.

At lunchtime as I sat in Seito Sushi waiting for my friend Kenda, I began to read the cookbook I received for Christmas from Sheri and David. The cookbook is a delightful compilation of recipes from David and Sheri's family and friends. Recipe after recipe made my mouth water and I love the tips and anecdotes. Karen is right. I have to find a way to stay at home more to nurture my love of food.

Unfortunately home cooking will have to wait until another day. Late this afternoon I jumped in the car for a client rush delivery to Tampa. Due to I-4 sink holes closing eastbound lanes, I knew I was in for an interesting adventure.

The I-4 delays were horrendous, so I had to get creative with my route home. I called Mike to see what he would like for dinner when and if I made it home. He told me he would think about it. An hour or so later, I called again. I needed something to look forward to. Mike said he was fixing dinner and I had an option of peanut butter sandwiches or...what he was actually fixing. I opted for option two.

My curiosity kept me company through two more traffic delays. Mike does not like to venture into the kitchen. He doesn't like to cook at all. I guessed our dinner would involve something that he picked up on the way home. By the fragrant waft of garlic I smelled as I walked in the door, I knew my favorite Leonardo's Pizza was on the menu for the night. To my surprise Mike had also picked up a salad nicely presented on a plate with a ramekin of dressing on the side. An ice cold Coke sat at my place setting beside a glass of crushed ice. He served me my warm slice of Greek pizza with garlic rolls on the side as I sat my butt on the sofa. This was the ultimate pampering and the perfect ending to my day. All Mike's thoughtfulness and attention to details meant more to me than he will ever know. Did I ever mention I have the best husband in the entire universe? I do!

Many hugs and kisses for Mike,

Kathy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a Leonardo's in Orlando??

Cash Starved Foodie said...

No unfortunately there isn't a Leonardo's in Orlando. Mike imported it from Gainesville.