Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Lost in a Mouse Click -Day 259

Yesterday I gave out thank you cards to emphasize the lost art of putting pen to paper. Today I realized in our electronic world of e-mails, tweets, text messages and friending we also lost the personal touch, the tone, the nuance.

For the last two days I have agonized over a series of e-mails from a cherished friend. My feelings were hurt by some of the messages sent. Our e-mail discussion ended abruptly and I didn't know why. I wanted to know what she was thinking, but I just couldn't call...until today. Today I got my answers.

She was hurt by my last e-mail response. I had no idea. My tone was not angry or hurtful. But somehow that was how it was perceived. I could not hear the hurt or disappointment in her voice. I could not see it in her eyes. Nor could she see the tears I shed. The words were there on the screen, but not the feeling.

Progress is a wonderful thing! We have information beyond our wildest dreams available in an instant. But until we can tap into the heart and soul of a person and send a feeling with the click of a mouse, we still need to talk face to face or ear to ear. I am very glad I picked up the phone. We may not agree, but now we understand.

Many hugs,

Kathy

No comments: