Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Secret to Happiness Part 2 - Day 248

Last night while writing my posting I crashed and burned. I have always said being depressed is hard work and being happy is easy. But sometimes being happy can take its toll as well. This week I spread a little happiness all around...staying up well past midnight night after night. Last night I hit the proverbial brick wall.

Well after a great nights sleep, I am back at it. Our friend Chris loves biscuits and gravy. So this morning we made the trek to Bojangles to put a smile on his face and a few more pounds on my midsection. Then Mike and Chris headed off to Gainesville for the Orange and Blue Spring football game and I headed to work at Costco. After a couple of weeks off I actually looked forward to seeing my co-workers and customers. Unfortunately traffic today was painfully slow. The bonus being time to write my blog and share more happiness secrets.

Smile! I get lots of practice at Costco and the results are amazing. People smile back. They stop and talk. They share stories of travel, family, great meals, problems and triumphs. To me, it is quite magical. Such a simple gesture yields major returns in happiness.

My friend Kenda left me a message this afternoon that reminded me of another simple secret. Say yes! Say yes to favors, requests, invitations and opportunities. Saying yes will open you up to wonderful life experiences. Your plate will always be full. You will rarely be bored. You will have stories to share. You will be happy. Last week I shared this philosophy with Kenda. Her message today was short and jubilant. A friend asked her to go to the Winter Garden Farmers Market. She said YES! An invitation to lunch soon followed. YES was the answer once again. When I returned the call I could tell Kenda was having a really good day. She was happy. It made me proud of my little happiness protege. Time for another happy dance.

Dinner tonight was a hardening of the arteries special. My son Ryan sent me his recipe for Alfredo sauce...a Chris favorite. I added rotisserie chicken from Costco and served it over bowtie pasta with a salad and toasted cheese topped Naan bread. Chris had two bowls of pasta. I think his tummy joined in the happiness party.

Many hugs,

Kathy

No comments: