Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Ryan's "New" Digs - Day 265

This morning's early start was rewarded with breakfast at Waffle House...Ryan's new favorite for cheap eats. Like Denny's, it had been years since I visited a Waffle House. It was actually fun, cheap and the food was quite good. Chris and I got pecan waffles and bacon. Ryan had a bacon and egg sandwich. The service was good and the bill was amazing...$17.00 for a hearty breakfast for three. Good start.

We picked up the key for the apartment and headed to begin the big move. Ryan's "new" digs were not only old, but very, very dirty. To our dismay, the power had not been turned on yesterday as requested. The fridge had been closed up with no power for I don't know how long. Uuugggh, the smell was overpowering. The floors, bathroom, cabinets, pretty much every inch of the place needed to be cleaned. So clean we did. We unloaded, cleaned, unloaded some more, cleaned some more and became very hungry, tired and in need of a break. Luckily Ryan's apartment is right next door to the European Street Cafe. Urbanspoon gave the chain rave revues. I can see why. The menu offers a huge selection of sandwiches, salads and German specialties. I chose the German Sausage Sampler with sauerkraut and German potato salad. Ryan and Chris both opted for sandwiches. All of us left the restaurant, full, happy and ready to brave more apartment cleaning.

As old and dirty as the apartment may be, it definitely has a certain charm. The view of the St. Johns is beautiful and the breeze from the water definitely kept the apartment cool. Thank goodness...since the utility company did not stop by to turn on the power until 5:30. After doing as much as we could in one day to make Ryan's digs feel like home we headed to Tijuana Flats to celebrate our accomplishments. Today was Taco Tuesdaze. For $4.99 I got two loaded tacos and a drink...perfect for this cash starved foodie.

As I reflect on this day, I cannot help but feel proud of my son. He has accomplished so much in such a short amount of time. He became the strong, confident person I always dreamed he would be...only better.

I also feel blessed to spend time with Chris. For some odd reason, he thinks I have a great life and wants to be a part of it...even if it involves heavy lifting and cleaning a filthy mess. You know...I think he is right. My life is pretty great and I am glad he could share it with me and Ryan.

Many hugs,

Kathy

No comments: