Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Lula's Cookies - Day 245

Today I felt truly blessed. After a rocky start to my work day, I received a welcome call from my friend Kenda with an invitation to lunch. We met at First Watch in Maitland for a satisfying meal of crepes and good conversation. All my frustrations quickly disappeared and I left the restaurant very glad I had a forever friend like Kenda in my life.

On Easter Sunday, Lula Frances Jones, the mother of my friend Dennis, passed away. I never met her, but felt like I knew her well from the many endearing stories Dennis shared with me over the years. She had to be an amazing person to have raised such a wonderful son. Tonight was her viewing and Dennis wanted me there. I was worried I would feel awkward and uncomfortable. When I walked into the room, all my worries disappeared. Dennis motioned me up to the front to be with him and Kathy. The room was filled with love, laughter, stories and very few tears. Lula must have been looking down on us with a smile. A friend of Dennis sang a couple of beautiful hymns to honor her passing. It was a beautiful tribute.

Throughout the night Dennis introduced me and his other good friend Kathy to most of the attendees. I was the "Cookie Lady Kathy" and his other friend was "Travel Partner Kathy". Somehow my reputation must have preceded me. Every person lit up when they heard I was the "Cookie Lady". Evidently Dennis had shared my cookies with family and friends. When I asked Dennis if there was anything I could do to help with his mother's funeral tomorrow, he made just one simple request. He wanted cookies. Very specific cookies. Cookies with lots of chocolate, nuts and dried fruit. I can do that...and I did. I channeled all the love I felt in that room tonight and made some awesome White Chocolate Blueberry Pecan and Mixed Nut Chocolate Chip Cookies. The Mixed Nut Chocolate Chip cookies have a very special name...Lula's Cookies. I hope she feels the hug I am sending up her way.

Many hugs,

Kathy

No comments: