Friday, September 4, 2009

Almost Tailgate Time - Day 29

Well today was another vacation day and I was a little confused...I headed to work. But not before I stopped into the new Bruegger's Bagels for a fresh toasted honey wheat bagel oozing with butter. Yum!

I could not get out of the office until after 3:00 and hadn't eaten lunch, so I headed for Mickey D's with my free McCafe coupon. My foodie card will be revoked when I admit that I actually liked the Hazelnut Iced Coffee, little cheeseburger and fries that I got for $2.19 with the free coffee coupon.

Tonight is a momentous night...the day before opening day of the Gator football season and our first tailgate party. I have been planning the menu for over a week and want it to be tasty, simple and relatively inexpensive. Here is the plan -

Boursin Stuffed Chicken Breast Wrapped in Prosciutto
Fresh Corn Salad
Grilled Asparagus
Kevina's Pasta Salad
Grilled Pound Cake with Fresh Strawberries and Whipped Cream
Trail Mix Chocolate Chip Cookies
Sangria and Beer

While Mike figured out how to get all our tailgate gear in our new much smaller CR-V, I assembled the chicken, made the corn salad and blanched the asparagus. Then it was on to the cookies. Overall I am pleased with the results and am looking forward to tomorrow. It will be my first real day off in quite a while.

Marti, my client and friend, requested the recipe for my fresh corn salad. Here you go -

Fresh Corn Salad

6 ears of sweet corn
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 red onion, minced
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Cut the fresh corn off the cob and steam for 3-5 minutes in 1/4 cup water. Remove lid and cook, stirring, 2 minutes more until water evaporates. Toss corn with all other ingredients and chill.

Tip: I added 1 small seeded fresh minced jalapeno from Kat's garden for a little extra heat.

Go Gators!

Many hugs,

Kathy



No comments: