Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Awakening - Day 33

"Power of good" moments can occur anytime...even at 2:23 a.m. Last night I was awoken by the sound of loud crunching of dog food. Our rescued dog, Maddie, picked the wee hours of the morning to satisfy her hunger. Normally I might have been a little perturbed at this rude awakening, but this time it made me smile.

The sound was strangely comforting. It got me thinking about how Maddie came to be a part of our family...a wonderful "power of good" story.

One very sad and horrific day in May, our dog Abby, the best dog ever, passed away. When I say she was the best dog ever I am not exaggerating. I am not prejudiced...well maybe a little. She was an extremely bright, gentle Australian Shepherd that loved my husband Mike more than anything. The feeling was mutual.

On this day in May, my husband lost his best friend and I saw a hurt in his eyes I had never seen before. One that only time and a gentle spirit sent from Abby could heal. That gentle spirit was Maddie.

Mike and I were running errands the weekend after Abby passed when Mike noticed an adoption sign in front of the Petco near our house. Was it too early, we both wondered, but decided to stop anyway. As we rounded the corner, there in the middle cage was Maddie, a beautiful, scared Australian Shepherd mix that almost took my breath away. Needless to say we had to take her home.

Maddie is 6-7 years old, very quirky, very skittish and also in love with Mike just like Abby. She had been rescued at least twice from troubling situations. It has been fun over the last few months to see her evolve. After months of thinking she was debarked, Maddie found her voice. And Mike has found a new best friend. She will never replace Abby, but I can't help but think Abby sent her to ease Mike's pain. We rescued Maddie and she rescued us right back.

The loud crunching sound reminded me...this too, is the "power of good".

Lunch was a bit of a splurge. I picked up a pumpkin spice latte and fruit and cheese plate from Starbucks. The price was too high at $9.37, but it satisfied my craving. For me, a pumpkin spice latte is a rite of passage into fall. The cool 80 degree temps of a Florida fall can't be far behind.

Dinner was chicken tostada bowls with rice, black beans and all the trimmings shared with my roommate Jim. He seemed to enjoy it in between the tears. I would give anything to kick start him back to happiness, but nothing I say or do seems to work for long. He has to find his happy place on his own and I will be there to offer comfort food and hugs along the way.

Many hugs,

Kathy

No comments: