Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Power of Good Gone Bad - Day 49

Today "the Power of Good" took a back seat to "the Power of Bad". The majority of the work day was filled with frustration. For that reason, I really looked forward to the evening. Right after work I got my haircut and then headed home (feeling kind of cute) to bake birthday cookies for Carolyn's husband Randy.

Dinner was "Dexter's Soup", a soup idea I concocted last night after the lights went out, but my brain would not. I sauteed fresh garlic, onions, celery and carrots. Then added 3 cans of low sodium chicken broth, about 6 cubed red potatoes, dried thyme, marjoram, poultry seasoning, red pepper flakes, fresh cilantro, salt, pepper, hot sauce and let it come to a rapid boil for about 10 minutes. I added about a cup of kale, the leftover scoop of Dexter's mashed potatoes, leftover Dexter's homemade chicken sausage, leftover peppers from Sunday's brats, a splash of white wine, half and half and a generous sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. The end result reminded me of Zuppa Toscana from Olive Garden...only better. I made a salad with the leftover Dexter's green beans, chopped celery, fresh basil and tomatoes with a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette. A glass of white wine was poured, a blog picture taken and I sat down to dinner in front of the Ole Miss/South Carolina game at about 9:30. Aaaah...15 minutes of total bliss.

Time to bake the cookies. Randy is one of those unfortunate people that does not like nuts. It is killing me, but I am making White Chocolate Blueberry No Pecan Cookies. A cookie without nuts just doesn't feel right, but hopefully they will make him happy.

Many hugs and more power of good,

Kathy

No comments: