Monday, September 14, 2009

www.restaurant.com - Day 39

On Friday, my friend Winnie sent me the link to a website called www.restaurant.com. They were offering a special promotion over the weekend for 90% off their normal discounted prices for gift certificates. I ordered four $25 gift certificates for one of my favorite restaurants - Dexter's in Lake Mary. The total price for the $100 worth of certificates was...$6.00. I was a little leery and thought it was too good to be true. There were restrictions...your minimum order must be $50. The certificate was not good during happy hour, Thursday nights, Fridays, Saturdays or Sunday brunch.

Mike and I decided tonight would be a good night to test it out. I had driven up to Gainesville and Ocala today and really didn't feel like cooking. When we arrived at the restaurant we discovered on Mondays happy hour lasted from 3 until close. Oh no, that was one of the many restrictions. Jessica, our server, checked with the manager and allowed us to use the certificate. Yay! We were total gluttons to try to get our bill up to $50. I tried the fried pickles. Oh my, they were delicious. Crisp garlic pickle spears fried in a tempura batter and served with a feta ranch dipping sauce. My stomach will revolt later, but they were worth the pain. For the entree, I ordered crab cakes served on a bed of poblano mashed potatoes with chimichurri shrimp skewers on top. Mike ordered the grouper topped with lobster and served with a lemon risotto and grilled asparagus. The food was quite good and the portion size was huge. I took home half my entree for lunch tomorrow. The bill including tip and drinks was $35.00...a little extravagant for a cash starved foodie, but great for a special treat. I definitely recommend the www.restaurant.com site. We thought maybe we would have a challenge when we presented the certificate, but it was no problem at all. Judging by the number of empty tables, I think the management welcomed our business. Check it out for restaurants in your area.

Many hugs and many calories,

Kathy

No comments: