Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Lunch With Promise - Day 55

Last week I got an e-mail from David, a UF grad that job shadowed me while he was in school. He was very excited about the new business he and his girlfriend, Morgan, were starting called "Hatchet Design " and asked me to join them for lunch today to talk about it. We met at Siam Garden, a Thai restaurant in Winter Park. The two of them exuded happiness and promise as soon as they walked through the door. It was so refreshing to see two talented young people so willing to take a risk in such a challenging economy. I know they will be successful. They both have "it". Both David and Morgan graduated from UF in graphic design.

I realize my blog posting has taken another turn away from talk of food, so I guess I better get back on my foodie path. In addition to the soulful conversation over lunch, we actually ate some very delicious soulful Thai food. I had a chicken curry dish (medium spice) that actually made my tummy do a happy dance. David had the same, only spiced HOT and Morgan had chicken Pad Thai. The prices are reasonable...less than $7.00 for a large portion that included enough for me to take home for tomorrow's dinner. This is definitely a restaurant I would recommend.

This afternoon I received an e-mail from Restaurant.com reminding me today was the last day of the 80% off sale. This means you can buy a $25.00 gift certificate for $2.00. I went on the site and spent less than $8.00 for (4) $10.00 gift certificates for Dexter's in Winter Park, (1) $25.00 gift certificate to Urban Flats and (1) $25.00 gift certificate to Cafe 118 Degrees Raw Organics. The $10.00 certificates require a $20.00 minimum purchase and have some day restrictions. Both $25.00 certificates require a $35.00 minimum purchase. I have redeemed a couple of the previously purchased certificates without any challenges and would highly recommend this site to anyone looking to go out to eat on a limited budget.

Mike recently received a $40.00 Friday's gift card, so we decided to forgo the banana split night at Sweet Tomatoes for a free dinner at Friday's. It has been years since I have eaten at Friday's, so I really didn't know what to expect. The menu had lots of choices included a "Right Price, Right Portion" section where I found my choice. I ordered a Petite Sirloin served with Gourmet Mac 'n Cheese, a Food Network challenge award winner. The portion size was just right and the price was $9.99. Mike ordered the Sizzling Chicken and Shrimp served with lots of cheese and mashed potatoes. Both of our choices weren't the most heart or figure healthy, but we enjoyed our meal nonetheless. Perhaps the best part of dinner other than the conversation, was my Shaker Blackberry Margarita. The Shaker drinks come with a glass and a cocktail shaker. In effect, you get two drinks for the price of one, not to mention the fun of shaking the cocktail. It was yummy.

Tonight I am back to my baking frenzy, making Toasted Pecan Chocolate Chunk Cookies for my dad's reunion this weekend. As if I hadn't had enough calories today, I just sampled one of my cookies warm from the oven. I think they will make my dad proud and my butt a little bigger.

Many hugs and new venture successes,

Kathy

No comments: