Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Cookie Disappointment and Triumph - Day 27

A day without cookies is like a day without hugs. Don't ask me what that means. I am just feeling kind of silly.

This morning began with cookies for breakfast. I didn't feel like I could totally trust the eyeball test alone. And I was right. The Nutella cookies were a disappointment. I decided to try to substitute Sugar in the Raw for traditional granulated sugar. The package said it can be used in baking. However, the granules are a little more coarse and do not incorporate well into the dough, leaving the cookie texture a little gritty. The look was good, the flavor was good, but the cookie itself was a disappointment. Since I had already packaged the cookies for Robby and Kenda, I decided I would include my less than perfect cookie in the mix...probably not the best idea. This batch of Nutella Cookies should be re-named Sandy Beach Cookies because they taste like I made them from a sandy beach.

However, the Trail Mix Chocolate Chip Cookies (Robby's namesake) were delicious. I loved the crunchiness of the whole nuts mixed with the raisins and chocolate. They were truly as good as they looked. Robby will be proud.

Lunch was grabbed on the run at Arby's. I know the meat is formed and pressed from God knows what, the cheese...an unnatural goo, but it was tasty nonetheless.

This afternoon I had to drive up to Gainesville to see one of my clients and dropped off individually wrapped trail mix cookies to Scott, Lorraine and Lee for their afternoon snack. The look on Lee's face when she bit into the cookie made it worth the drive.

Before I headed back to Orlando, I checked my trusty restaurant coupon envelope and discovered a BOGO coupon for $9.95 Summer Adventure entrees at Outback Steakhouse. I called Mike and he agreed this would be the perfect way to spend the evening. We met, we talked about his bowling adventures and we ate a nice meal including an appetizer for $18.00. The coupon saved $9.95.

My favorite reality show is about to start...Top Chef Las Vegas...gotta go.

Many hugs,

Kathy

No comments: