Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Birthday Girls - Day 48

Two of my favorite women in the world were born on this day...my mom and my friend Kenda. Since birthday serenades are a tradition in my family, both were tortured with my rendition of "Happy Birthday" to start their day. I stopped by Kenda's house of my way to work to drop off her foodie birthday gift. She was feeling kind of grumpy, but I think the gift worked a little magic on her mood. I gave her the cookbook, Giada's Kitchen and several Giada speciality items tucked in a funky wooden planter.

Tonight it was my mom's turn for pampering. We met at Dexter's in Winter Park for a great meal and conversation. Shrimp is a must for my mom when she goes out to eat, so her dinner choice was Mediterranean Pasta with Grilled Shrimp. The pasta was filled with artichokes, kalamata olives, spinach, sun dried tomatoes and shrimp all topped with chunks of feta cheese. It looked delicious and judging by her groans and smiles, I think it was. Mike opted for pasta shells tossed with shrimp and peas in a Parmesan cream sauce. Yum as well. My brother and I went the adventurous route with an offering from the daily specials menu...Homemade Grilled Chicken Sausage with mashed potatoes and green beans. It was wonderful comfort food that reminded me of fall. The meal was a little extravagant for this cash starved foodie, but I believe birthdays deserve a day, or maybe a week of pampering. Besides, I bought another $25.00 gift certificate at www.restaurant.com for $4.00 and used it tonight to defray the cost. Our decadent meal for four came to $50.00 including tip.

Mike was in charge of picking up an ice cream birthday cake for my mom at Marble Slab today. He made a great choice with the mint chocolate ice cream cake. It was light and refreshing after the heavy meal.

I hope both birthday girls enjoyed their day...I know I sure did!

Many hugs and happy birthdays,

Kathy

No comments: