Monday, September 28, 2009

A Late Afternoon to Breathe - Day 53

Aaaaahhhhh.

Late this afternoon I decided it was time to take a hour or two for me...an hour or two to catch my breath. I have been going at such a "manic" pace (as Victoria describes it) that I almost forgot to breathe. The frustration of no time for cleaning or personal errands was getting the best of me. The usual guilt was gone and was replaced with supreme happiness. I stopped at the grocery store, washed my car, took my clothes to the dry cleaners and planted rosemary, basil and sage in my planter by the front door. The tasks were mundane, but very soul satisfying. Then I made a very simple, but delicious meal for my husband. Yesterday at Costco, I picked up a package of artisan ravioli pasta stuffed with butternut squash. I found a simple brown butter sauce recipe at the Food Network site. It pairs brown butter with dried cranberries, toasted walnuts and fresh sage. I poured the sauce over the cooked ravioli, topped with fresh shredded Parmesan and served it with Chris' Delicious Corn Bread leftover from Saturday. Then I made Mike wait while I took a picture for my blog. He thinks I am crazy and I think he is correct.

The pasta and the sauce was very rich and delicious. I think this recipe would make a perfect appetizer for Thanksgiving. The flavors are a celebration of fall.

Brown Butter Sauce

3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks)
2 T. torn fresh sage leaves
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Melt the butter in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat.

Add the sage, walnuts and cranberries and let cook until the butter starts to brown, about 3 minutes. Turn the heat off and season with salt and pepper.

Spoon the sauce over the cooked pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Many hugs and Aaaaahhhhh moments,

Kathy

No comments: