Monday, October 19, 2009

Almost Done - Day 74

This morning I packaged the cookies for Matt's Fall Cookie Bags...all 21 of them.  It took much longer than I anticipated, but the look on Matt's face and the hug I received when I walked in the door made it all worthwhile.

Tonight I am baking the last basket of Matt's original order.  I am almost done and it feels very gratifying.  I learned a few things along the way...especially last night.  I normally use Gold Medal Unbleached Flour for my cookies, but recently bought a 25 pound bag of Hotel and Restaurant All-Purpose Flour from Costco to try to save money.  I was disappointed that it was bleached, but extremely pleased with the way it performed in my cookie dough.  I actually think it improved the consistency of the cookie.  Last night convinced me of the fact. 

Last week I discovered a new item at Costco...All-Purpose Unbleached Flour.  I know you will think this is absurd, but I actually did a little happy dance when I discovered it.  The flour is made by Eagle Mills and is a blend of white flour and whole grain flour.  I rationalized that this would actually make my cookies healthier.  Unfortunately what I discovered at 1:00 in the morning last night, is that the whole grain alters the consistency of the dough.  The flavor is still good, but the cookies do not spread properly and end up being more dense...almost like a biscuit. From now on, it is ConAgra Mills Harvest Hotel and Restaurant All-Purpose Flour for me.  The perfect cookie is slightly crisp on the edges, moist and dense in the middle.  I am all about the perfect cookie.

Many hugs,

Kathy

No comments: