Sunday, October 4, 2009

In Need of Alone Time - Day 59

This morning got off to an inauspicious start.  With many challenges along the way, I made Brenna the chocolate chip pancakes I promised.  I have made these before with much success.  However, today was another story.  My first batch of batter was too thin and when I tried to doctor it the results were not good, so down the garbage disposal it went.  The electric fry pan cooked the pancakes unevenly.  In the trash they went.  The butter I added to the oil burned.  I switched to the stove.  The big burner was especially temperamental this morning.  It was extremely hot on one side, low on the other.  I just could not win.  I made a mess.  I served the crappy pancakes to Jim, Brenna and Mike.  I washed dishes.  I did not eat.  All the while craving my lazy Sunday mornings alone with my husband, sprawled out on the couch reading the Sunday paper with ESPN in the background.  I really miss our alone time.

My brunch consisted of a Chocolate Chip Cranberry Pecan Cookie, a peanut butter chocolate I found in my purse from yesterday and a half a bag of Fritos.  Quite a smorgasbord while driving to work.  My only hope for something good was my CDS demo friends at Costco.  I baked cookies for them last night and was hoping to negotiate a trade.  They all came through.  This afternoon I noshed on Manatee Coffee, Salmon Pasta Salad, Buffalo Mozzarella, Aidell's Teriyaki Meatballs and Chicken Apple Sausage.  The cookies I dropped off were well received.  Not only did I receive good food in return, but hugs and smiles as well.

Jim and Brenna offered to grill chicken for dinner.  I took them up on the offer and picked up salad fixins and a scalloped potato bake at Costco to accompany the chicken.  The last thing I felt like doing tonight was cooking after my nightmare morning.  Dinner was a success.  I topped it off with one of Brenna's Candy Shop Cookies...boy, it was good.

Many hugs and moments alone,

Kathy
  

No comments: