Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Alone at Last - Day 62

Today was a great foodie day.  It began with my favorite honey drizzled, almond and fruit bit sprinkled Greek yogurt breakfast.  You have to try this...trust me, it is really good and filling.

My client lunch appointment was cancelled at the last minute, so I ran errands and stopped by the Whole Foods food bar for lunch.  I filled the small cardboard container with several tastings from the cold bar - Bowtie Pasta Portobella Salad, Curried Turkey Salad, Cashew Broccoli Crunch, Cilantro Pesto Tofu and Orzo Salad with Olives and Feta.  At $7.99 per pound, it is not inexpensive, but if you exercise portion control, the total price is not too bad.  I filled the small box and the total was $6.07.  All the salads were yummy.  Happy dance worthy.

Today I vented to my roommate Jim about my need to spend a little time alone to recharge.  He was very understanding and offered to give me time alone whenever I need it.  I needed it tonight and Jim graciously accommodated my wishes.  I got home and immediately started to prepare Spaghetti with Braised Kale from the October issue of Bon Appetit.  It took a little time to prepare, but was quite easy.  I tossed the pasta with cubes of fresh mozzarella, a little hot sauce and served it with a cucumber, tomato salad and a glass of wine. Then I curled up on the couch and watched HGTV...happy as a clam.  Thank you Jim.

Spaghetti With Braised Kale

1 pound fresh kale, large center ribs and stems removed, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch slices
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
8 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/2 pound spaghetti
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
finely grated Parmesan cheese

Rinse kale.  Drain and transfer to bowl with some water clinging.

Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large pot over medium heat.  Add chopped onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 6 minutes.  Add sliced garlic and sprinkle with salt; cook until onion is golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.  Add kale and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and toss until wilted, about 3 minutes.  Cover pot and reduce heat to medium low.  Continue cooking until kale is very tender, stirring occasionally and adding water by tablespoonfuls if dry, about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in pot of boiling salted water until tender, but firm to bite.  Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid.  Add cooked spaghetti to kale mixture in pot.  Add lemon juice and 2 tablespoons reserved cooking liquid; toss to combine, adding more liquid by tablespoonfuls if dry.  Sprinkle spaghetti with grated Parmesan cheese and serve.

Tip:  I had some Swiss Chard  leftover from the weekend and used a mixture of half Swiss Chard and half Kale.  I thought the flavor was good, but a little bland, so I tossed in cubes of fresh mozzarella, red pepper flakes, freshly ground pepper and a little hot sauce.  The result was delish! 

Many hugs and recharge moments,

Kathy

No comments: