Saturday, October 24, 2009

Food Magazines - Day 79

Fall brings out the best of everything.  The best weather.  The best food.  The best traditions.  The best football.  The best gatherings.  Even the best magazines.  I love food magazines.  All kinds.  I have a monthly subscription to two of my favorites, Bon Appetit and Cooking Light.  Cash starvation requires me to flip through the others at checkout and put back on most months.  But the months of October and November are another story.  I indulge myself in just about every food magazine I can get my hand on.

The November 2009 issue of Everyday with Rachel Ray contains a great article for the cash starved.  It is called "Travel 101 - Take a Volunteer Vacation".  One of the options they mentioned in the article caught my attention.  It is through an organization called Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms - wwoofusa.org.  For a $20.00 yearly membership fee, you have the option to sign up to work an organic farm in exchange for room and board.  You are responsible for your transportation to the location. 

I love to pick fruit and vegetables.  My friend Allan even nicknamed me "Juanita" when I insisted on picking apples and blackberries on my trips to California.  One of the locations mentioned in the article is Maboroshi Wine Estates, a 12 acre Pinot Noir vineyard where you care for the vines during a three to seven day trip in exchange for free room and board.  Many of the Agritourism options (farm-related travel) are abroad.  One couple spoke of their experience on an organic farm in Tuscany.  It was not a picnic.  They worked hard, but had the weekends off to tour the Tuscan countryside, made life long friends and brought home a case of wine.  Sounds like my perfect vacation.

Today I made a new friend at work at the Costco in Kissimmee.  Mara, from Winter Haven, stopped by to talk about the wine I represent, but our conversation soon turned to wine labels, decorating and food.  She told me I had to try Quinoa...even went to the other side of the store to get me a bag.  I gave her one of my HeartSong Cookies business cards and really hope she will stay in touch.  Her description of the decorating of her son's room has me intrigued to see pictures of the results.

After work I picked up a variety of noshing items.  Mike and I love to have appetizers for dinner,so I picked up Mini Bagel Dogs, Shrimp Cocktail and a Chocolate Covered Caramel Apple for us to eat during the Florida/Mississippi State game.  Once again the game was not pretty.  In fact, I spent the second half watching the game alone.  Mike got disgusted and went upstairs.  But the food was good and Florida won the game.  All is right in the world...except the Florida offense.

Many hugs,

Kathy

3 comments:

victoria said...

Hey Kat (Juanita),

Too weird....

Joel was going to work with Wwoof on an organic farm in Japan before returning home, but had to come home sooner than planned. He's been encouraging us to contact Wwoof for our next trip to Japan.

The too weird part is that the vineyard you mentioned--Maboroshi--is right down the street from us. We pass it every day on our walks. You were picking blackberries across the street from it. Allan says you can come and pick apples in our pesticide-free orchard (organic, but not certified). Forget Maboroshi! Come stay with us. Wwoof! Wwoof! Free room and board! You can just walk by and look at them...

Love, V.

Cash Starved Foodie said...

That is so weird about Maboroshi. I had no idea. I would much rather stay with you and pick organic apples. When do you need me to be there? Also can we dry some to make Apple Cinnamon Crunch Cookies?

Love, K. (J.)

victoria said...

The famous Sebastopol Gravensteins come in around mid-late August. Our orchard is tiny, so you could pick apples to your heart's content and still have time to visit your favorite places, make dried apples, and eat! You know you're welcome any time....

Many apples,
Love, V.