Sunday, May 16, 2010

Cooking Light, A Really Good Magazine - Day 284

The June edition of Cooking Light is filled with wonderful recipes for the summer months and several good articles. One in particular peaked my interest. The Healthy Living - Body & Soul section featured a story of a Colorado woman who ventured outside her comfort zone. In partnership with a friend, Ashley Devery raised funds to build a school in Tanzania for educating girls. The ribbon cutting was last November for SEGA (Secondary Education for Girls Advancement). Twenty-eight Tanzanian girls walked through the doors of a brand new two-story building complete with classroom, desks, books and dorm rooms upstairs...all thanks to the efforts of two women. Ashley's closing comments struck close to home for me - "This has been such a great lesson for me and for my kids. I tell them all the time, go out of your comfort zone, that's where life is. What do you have to lose?" This is a woman I would love to meet!

Tonight I ate the entire piece of Lemon Mascarpone Cake from Polonia Polish Restaurant. Once I took a bite, I could not stop. It was absolutely delicious. Now I understand the moans of delight from the table next to ours last night. The mascarpone icing was light and creamy...much better than any cream cheese frosting I have ever had. The lemon cake was moist and slightly tart. The combination of the two...moan-worthy. Mmmmmmmmmmmm!

Many hugs,

Kathy

No comments: