Saturday, May 15, 2010

My New Favorite Holiday - Day 283

The anticipation was getting the best of me. My new favorite holiday had finally arrived - National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day. I couldn't think of a better way to commemorate the big day than by baking a batch of chocolate chip cookies to take to my Costco buddies. When the alarm went off I was raring to go. Well, maybe not raring...I pressed the snooze button 2 or 3 times.

I made dough for Toasted Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies and Choc O Chips Cookies, but only had time to bake the Toasted Pecan before work. I baked them, bagged them and headed out the door for work as a wine demonstrator and cookie fairy.

Del, Daniel, Pete, Liz, July, Mike, Maureen, Minerva, Phil, Nancy, Edith, Lili, Marsh, Cory, Boyce, Steve, Dixon, Ruby, Tom, Cissy, Justin, Leonard, Debbie and Paul were all visited by the cookie fairy. The tell tale sign was the big smile on their face and the smudge of chocolate in the corner of their mouth.

Mike's taste buds were feeling kind of frisky tonight. He suggested we visit Polonia Polish Restaurant. We had seen it last night on our German adventure and happened to have a coupon. So, Mike, Coupon Cory and I set out for a new eating adventure. Polonia is located on 17-92 in Longwood in a converted fast food restaurant. When we arrived the restaurant was full. They pulled a table apart in the lobby area and down we sat for one of the best meals we have had in a long time. Our server was a hoot. She was stressed and overworked, but attentive nonetheless. She helped Mike pick out a Polish beer that fit his palate and helped me with a Polish cherry wine. For dinner Mike took the safe route with a Chicken Cutlet with mashed potatoes and kluski...almost an instant repeat of last night. I ordered the Polish Sampler with Pierogi, Stuffed Cabbage, Smoked Kielbasa and Sauerkraut. I don't know if it was the fact that the flavors woke up my taste buds from boredom or if the food was just that good, but I enjoyed every last bite of my meal. My plate looked like it had been licked clean by Abby, the best dog ever. The restaurant had a comfortable neighborhood feel. The servers were definitely overwhelmed, but they kept us entertained with their stress filled frustration. The case by our table housed a selection of homemade desserts. I was full, but could not pass up a slice of Lemon Mascarpone Cake to take home after hearing the moans fo delight from the table next to us. If you are in the mood for something different...something comforting...something well done, you have to try Polonia Polish Restaurant. Entree prices range from $10 - $13. Polonia frequently places coupons in local publications, so check them out. Our coupon saved $6.00 on our meal. Suddenly I am in the mood to polka.

Many hugs,

Kathy

No comments: