Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day for One - Day 277

Mike left early this morning for Jacksonville to attend the TPC golf tournament with my son Ryan. The tickets Ryan received from his new job with the Jaguars were meant to be my Mother's Day gift, but I had to work. So Mike was my stand in. I got up shortly after Mike left and decided to embrace my aloneness. After a call to my mom with Mother's Day wishes, I sat in a chair, put my feet up, painted my toe nails and took a deep breath. Then I headed to Panera to pick up breakfast and ate in my mobile dining room at the Maitland Farmer's Market serenaded by dueling musical interludes of soulful gospel music and folk rock.

A visit to my mom was next on the agenda before work. I delivered a card, bottle of wine and a modest gift to my loving mom. She was elated. That is something I love about my mom. You could give her a penny or pick a flower from the yard and she would make you feel like you just gave her a million dollars.

Work at Costco was filled with post writing and lots of mothers with their kids. It was strangely comforting since I couldn't be with my family. And then more magic happened. Vera, one of the CDS demonstrators, stopped by with a receipt. She had gone to the front of the store and paid for a frozen mocha latte as a Mother's Day gift for me and a thank you for all the cookies I had given her over the last year. There goes that wonderful "Power of Good" again. I think Vera is long overdue for some more cookies.

Since watching a Food Network show this morning featuring Indian food, I have nurtured a craving for something spicy...Indian or Thai. I invited my friend Kenda to join me on my spicy endeavor and she gladly accepted. We met for dinner at Sea Thai, voted best Thai restaurant by the Orlando Sentinel for 2009. We began our meal with Tulip Dumplings...delectable steamed dumplings filled with ground chicken and shrimp, corn and cilantro. The presentation was beautiful. We both chose a different type of curry for our entree. I opted for Panang Shrimp Curry. Kenda ordered Red Curry Shrimp. They both were delicious...spicy, but not over the top. The service was wonderful. I think every server working tonight stopped by to check on us. Our favorite was a young Thai gentleman with a smile as big as Montana and a gentle nod of the head. Sea Thai is a well run restaurant that I would definitely recommend.

Mike called on his way home from Jacksonville. He and Ryan had a wonderful day together and you could tell by the happiness in his voice. Surprisingly, I had a wonderful day as well. The cherry on top was a card Mike presented to me from Ryan when he walked in the door. The message warmed my heart - "Mom, Everything I am today (well, almost everything) is because of you. You have given me someone to look up to and strive to be. No matter what I can always count on you being there for me. I hope you enjoy living vicariously through me because it's going to be quite a ride!" Ryan, I am enjoying every minute of the ride.

Many hugs,

Kathy

No comments: