Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Dreaming Out Loud - Day 279

This morning I received an e-mail from Pei Wei Asian Diner offering 25% off your bill if you placed the order online. So, Pei Wei it was for lunch. I ordered a cup of Thai Wonton Soup and (2) Veggie Spring Rolls for $4.95 including tax. Pretty cool. The online order placement was user friendly and the order was ready at the requested time. A mobile option is also available. Well done.

As I sat in the parking lot eating my "thrifty" lunch I was slapped in the face by the state of our economy. A young woman with a baby in tow motioned to me for help. I rolled down the window to hear her plea for food. She asked if I could go to one of the restaurants in the plaza to get something for her to eat. She is living at the Salvation Army with her son, but missed a meal. I pulled out $1.00 from my lean wallet and handed it to her. She sheepishly accepted and extended her hand to shake mine. "My name is Kimberly. Thank you so much for your help!" It may have been a scam, but somehow I think not. I think the tears and panic in her eyes were genuine. This is the "Power of Good".

Tonight I met my good friend Dennis at The Catfish Place in Apopka for some good eats and dreaming out loud. We got there early to take advantage of the early bird specials, but discovered an even better option. On Tuesdays from 11:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. two can eat for $14.95 with the purchase of two beverages. The list of menu item choices is impressive and the meal comes with your choice of two sides and hush puppies. Dennis and I opted for the Fried Shrimp. I ordered cheese grits and a salad...Dennis a baked potato and salad. The service was friendly and prompt. The bill put a smile on our face - $20 and change for a delicious meal for two.

As good as the meal was, the conversation was better. Dennis and I discussed the next steps to take in bringing HeartSong Cookies to life. I vowed to do the research on the costs involved including business license, insurance and commercial kitchen rental. Even though I am a little tired of talking about the dream and want action, I do feel I move one step closer every day. With the help of Mike, Dennis, Kenda and Vicky kicking me in the backside, my dream will become a reality. For now, I have to be happy with dreaming out loud.

Many hugs,

Kathy

No comments: