Saturday, May 1, 2010

A Good Job - Day 269

Today I took the day off from Costco to help my sister-in-law Kevina hold a baby shower for my niece Melissa. We began around 9:00 prepping for the shower at noon. Kevina was so all over the place like I normally am before a party. It was like looking in the mirror. I had to keep her focused and somehow with the help of her friend Debbie we pulled off one hell of a shower. Unfortunately I left my iPhone at home so I have no pictures to share.

The menu was the perfect light lunch for goofy women playing baby shower games. We served tea sandwiches filled with homemade pimento cheese spread, cucumber or chicken and cheese, phyllo cups filled with chicken salad, crab cakes, fruit kabobs, leek quiche, tea cakes, cookies and white chocolate cake. I wish you could have been there as I watched a room full of women sniffing "poopy" diapers. Kevina cut up pieces of eight kinds of candy bars, placed a piece in eight baby diapers, microwaved them, squished them, coded them and then passed them around to the guests. They in turn had to try to correctly identify the kind of candy bar to win a prize. Who comes up with these ideas?!

Melissa received everything she could possibly need to bring little Brayden into the world. The girls had fun sniffing "poopy" diapers, avoiding saying "baby" and guessing how big Melissa's belly was for prizes. Kevina was one proud grandmother-to-be. And I was one proud catering assistant. We had done a good job of making everyone happy. Happy dance!

After a full day of cooking, serving and cleaning, the last thing I wanted to do tonight was cook. Mike and I headed to Four Rivers Smokehouse in Winter Park for dinner. The line, as usual, was out the door. We ended up having to wait for about a half an hour to order, but it was worth the wait. I ordered a brisket sandwich with sides of smokehouse corn, barbecue beans and stuffed jalapenos. Mike ordered the slider trio of brisket, pulled pork and pulled chicken with green beans, mac and cheese and barbecue beans. We ate our feast at an outdoor picnic table with some friendly strangers. It was the perfect ending to a really good day.

Did I mention that I did a good job today?! I have only bragged to Mike about 100 times so far.

Many hugs,

Kathy

No comments: